Pages

Thursday, April 27, 2017

Discipline Over Motivation


I've been on this journey now for 72 days.  Guys, I've worked out for 72 days straight!  It certainly hasn't been easy and yesterday I hit a wall.  I'm seeing progress, but for some reason I was completely lacking any sort of real motivation.  I didn't know what it was that put me in such a broken state, but it sure had an impact on my attitude as I pushed through 300 reps for the night. 

It all got a little more clear today though, when I was able to rest up and step away from how I felt last night.  I'm exhausted in life.  Work is really busy, wedding planning has become slightly more stressful as choices are getting harder to make, I miss my friends and family - those relationships that I've worked so hard to build but hardly get to enjoy these days, and I'm working out for 100 freaking days straight!  These are certainly smaller problems to what I've faced in the past, but I'm just tired.
That's where discipline comes in though.  Why did I start this journey?  Because I wasn't happy with where I was.  I wanted change.  I wanted to create a new habit. I wanted to better myself.  So that means that several things in life are going to change in order to make this fit into any and all areas of my life.  If I want to see change happen, I have to stay disciplined even when I can't see exactly what motivated me to start.
If I've got work or plans to hang out with my people, that means I'm waking up early or shutting the gym down.  I'm wrapping it around my life and forcing it to fit in because I know that once I hit my goals, it will be worth it. I know that even going in there for at least 30 minutes of my day is going to make me feel better. 
I'm tired right now and life is busy, but it's worth it. I just have to stay consistent.


"Discipline always has victory over motivation.  We aren't always motivated, 
but discipline always wins." 
                                                - Jamie Gomez.

Discipline tells me that I am going to keep going even when I feel exhausted and can't see where I'm headed.  The minute I step away from the consistency I've worked so hard to build is the minute I break and return to old habits.  It's not easy to change your body.  It feels foreign and challenges you in some pretty major ways - but it's possible.  You have to want it.  You have to give up excuses and chase after it with everything you've got in you.

I'm not giving up.  When I'm tired, I'm going to push even harder.  There are 28 days left in this challenge, but I know it won't stop then.  This is my passion.  I'm making changes and going places.

-jennilea

No comments:

Post a Comment