Pages

Friday, May 23, 2014

Not Where I Was

With all the stress of life and school, let's face it:  As far as fitness goes, I am definitely not where I was this time last year.  I have been letting that really get me down, but have come to realize I need to just stop.  I can look back at my life the last few months and know exactly what I've been doing wrong.  Sometimes I get in this mood where I just think of how far I have to go to reach my fitness goals, that doing nothing seems like the easiest option.

It's true, doing nothing IS the easiest option, but it is definitely not the best option.  If being fit was easy, everyone would do it.  Hard work pays off - and when I think of how comfortable I was with my body this time last year, I know it will be worth the work.  I also know that change took place so quickly when I followed the guidelines Jamie laid out for me at The Dungeon.

With life being as hectic as it is, I decided to take online training with Jamie at The Dungeon.  She still does my meal plans, gives me different workouts for me to do during the week, and checks in on my progress.  Let me tell you, the online workout plan is not at all easier than the plan at home.  The only thing different is that I have to be able to push myself.  I have to make myself get out and go to the gym, watch my form, and make sure to push myself to the breaking point.  It is far from easy.

This week, one of my days included the card game workout.  This is far from a game...It keeps you moving as you flip through your deck and really showed me just how out of shape I am compared to before.  When I can hardly get through 15 burpees in a row - where I was able to get through at least 50 before needing to stop previously.

Word of advice:  Taking time off is NOT worth it!!

After my workout, I sat there, sweating, out of breath, and tired and thought to myself, "What the heck - I should be able to do all of this no problem!"  As I felt sorry for myself about how much further back I was than before, I realized ummm I am still better than I was before!  I remember the first time I did the card game, where I definitely did not finish the entire thing withing 45 minutes (recommended time).  This time was another story.  I may have taken just a few mins over the 45, but that was still about 10 minutes faster than when I was doing this last year!  Not all progress has been lost, I just have to work that much harder to be where I want to be!

Following my workout and meal plans has already given my self esteem a nice little boost!

Whenever I feel down, I remind myself to stop looking at how far I have to go or how far I am from where I was this time last year.  In reality, I have come so far from where I was when I first started and as long as I keep pushing myself, I will be even further than I could have imagined by this time next year.  Fitness is not something you do just until you reach your goal.  You have to keep working to maintain.  Don't take breaks.  Keep pushing through and you will reach your goals, set new ones, reach those goals, set more new goals, reach those, etc.

We have to choose to push on to be where we want to be.  We can't stop.

I won't stop.

In other news:  "On average, it takes about 12 weeks after beginning to exercise to see measurable changes in your body."
For more fitness fun facts, click here!

-jennilea

No comments:

Post a Comment