Pages

Monday, December 21, 2015

The Proposal

The moment many of you have asked me about:

A little backstory - I was at work one day when two of my coworkers asked when Brian and I were going to get married, I made the same joke I usually do: "Uhhh...3 years so I can grow out my wedding hair."  Haha.  This conversation turned into something so much deeper.  I leaned a lot about myself in that moment - including that I was sort of sabotaging myself - not allowing myself to fully love and be loved.  I was waiting for something terrible to happen, because terrible is what I've been used to for so long.  The thing is, no one is perfect, I'm sure he will make mistakes somewhere along the line - but over the last year, this has been the most healthy and perfect relationship I've ever experienced.  It's been such a fairytale and I feel so blessed to be walking this life out with my best friend. At the end of this conversation with my coworkers, I felt peace and all of those fears vanished.  I went to prayer - and just continued to find peace in the idea of marriage - so I shared the realization and experience with Brian.

Fast forward 1.5 months:

I was asked by Meloney (Brian's sister) if I can help out with a photo shoot.  I've done it before, so I didn't question anything and was excited to help take photos of a military couple, as the husband was going to be deployed soon.  That was the story I was made to believe. :]

As we drove to Rocklin, I quickly realized the park we were going to for the photo shoot was one that was all too familiar...in fact, it was me and Brian's park.  This park was one where the two of us would talk for hours, stargaze, and where we would both begin the process of healing from some of our most painful hurts.  This park was where everything began.

I turned to Meloney and told her about how special this park was to us.  Her reply was simply, "Good thing you know this park, because I don't!"

We pulled in and parked.  Meloney took her camera out to test lighting and began doing a few test shots.  Then, as we stood and waited for the couple to arrive, she said, "I know we've been talking about weddings a lot lately, and I'm getting ahead of myself, but I made you something.  Don't judge me."  Haha!  She handed me her phone, and started playing a slideshow of some of my favorite photos, set to our song.  I was so excited to relive so many incredible moments in such a special place.  At the very end, the video said. "But wait...there's more."  Another video started of my wonderful boy, pouring his heart out as he said some of the most beautiful things, ending the video saying, "I have a question for you so why don't you turn around."

I turned around to find my handsome boy down on his knee...after this, I have no idea what I said to him.  Haha.  It was a lot of high pitched nonsense I'm sure with a tiny "yes" thrown in between.  Of course, the photo shoot was not of a military couple...it was of this moment...and now we have photos to cherish and remember that moment by forever.

I am blessed.  My ring is perfect.  Life is happy.  We can't wait to take on this world together and see how God uses us as one.  <3

-jennilea


No comments:

Post a Comment